Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Elements

I'm so excited to guest post for my good friend Mal of Enchanted Nails and Fluffy Dog Tails.  I wanted to do a mani inspired by her.  What I've come up with is a mani representing the five elements.

Spirit is the element that gives life to all things and allows everything to exist.  White is traditionally the color for Spirit but to me, it's always been purple with a splash of gold.

I used China Glaze Fancy Pants, A England Avalon, and China Glaze GR8 to create a dry marble nail for Spirit.  I envision this as the way Spirit swirls around us and everything in existence to provide life.  Spirit exists in and all around us.  It isn't an element represented in the Zodiac but that doesn't make it any less important.


Air tends to be representative of the mind, intelligence, and all thing encompassed or ruled by such.  Much like Spirit, Air is all around us.  I have chosen white, one of the traditional colors, for my Air art.

I used Sinful Colors Snow Me White as my base, added one coat of A England Morgan Le Fay, and dotted China Glaze White Cap all over the nail.  For me, Air is shimmery and light; it carries things away or to us.

This is Mal's Zodiac element.


Fire is an element that both Mal and I are very drawn to.  We both crave the colors of Fire in our polish; oranges, reds, and the like.  Fire is energy, passion, inspiration.

I wanted to reacreate Fire itself for this nail.  I used a base of Nubar Pink Flame and then used Fresh Paint Hot Lava, Ruby Kisses Orange U Over?, Cosmetic Arts Bright Yellow, Sparitual Hijinks, Barry M Satsuma, and Barry M Blood Orange to create a waterfall nail.  To me, it's deep, vibrant flames, burning.


Earth is another element that Mal has strong ties with.  Earth evokes strength and stability, two things I see in my friend.  To me, Earth is always green.  To others it's green, yellow, and brown.

I started with one coat of Zoya Giovanna and then added one coat of Zoya Rina.  I used Zoya Ray to create a vine and OPI Don't Mess With OPI to create leaves.


Finally, I have my Zodiac element, Water.  I have a deep connection with Water.  Among other things, Water represents emotion and the soul.

I used China Glaze Bahamian Escape, China Glaze Frostbite, and China Glaze First Mate to create a deep blue ocean, a sky, and a wave.


Which one is your favorite?  Which one do you identify with?


No comments:

Post a Comment